Committee on World Food Security 2022 (CFS50)
Advancing equitable livelihoods for food system workers
The 50th Plenary Session of the Committee on World Food Security (CFS) was held from 10 to 13 October 2022. The Decent Work for Equitable Food Systems Coalition brought livelihoods to the fore with a virtual side event at CFS5.
This event provided a multi-stakeholder discussion about how providing equitable livelihoods and proper social protection mechanisms are crucial in ending global malnutrition in all its forms. Agriculture alone is one of the most hazardous sectors, with millions of agricultural workers falling victim to fatal accidents, workplace injuries, poisoning by pesticides, and occupational disease. Globally two thirds of the extreme poor are engaged in agriculture and 70% of all children in child labour are in agriculture.
- Lynnette Neufeld, FAO’s Nutrition, Director and former AT4 Science Lead (moderator)
- Willem Olthof, Deputy Head of Unit Sustainable Agri-Food Systems and Fisheries Directorate-General for International Partnerships (INTPA) European Commission
- Reema Nanavaty, Executive Director, Self Employed Women’s Organisation
- Piero Conforti, Deputy Director, FAO’s Statistics Division and Livelihoods Working Group of the Food Systems Countdown Initiative
- Ajijti Jihane, Head of Stakeholder Engagement OCP Africa
- Mr. Simon Winter, Executive Director, Syngenta Foundation
- Brian Chipili, Agribusiness Hub Lead, IFAD
- Ms Alette van Leur, Director of the Sectoral Policies Department, ILO